In addition to our in-town recreation league, MYBA provides boys and girls in grades 4 to 8 the opportunity to participate in a local (Metrowest) competitive travel league.
The Medfield teams are chosen after competitive tryouts (process | schedule) are completed at each grade level. Players are evaluated on their individual and team basketball competency. Participation on these teams will require an extended commitment. It is expected that all team members be at all practices, games and tournaments. Please consider the increased time commitment for practice and games when deciding whether your child will try out for a travel team. MYBA understands that there may be conflicts due to vacation etc.
The season runs from the beginning of November to mid-March. In addition, boys and girls travel teams may participate in a pre-Thanksgiving and/or Thanksgiving weekend tournament. All teams will play in post-season playoffs that begin in early March. Teams may participate in additional tournaments that are typically held during vacation weeks (i.e. during December break or February vacation). There are regular season games on each Sunday of February break.
The following guidelines apply to all boys and girls travel teams:
- There will be one game a week during the season on Sunday.
- During the month of November, practices are held in Medfield and there are typically two to three per week. From December through February, there will be one or two weekly practices at Forekicks in Norfolk or TenAcre School in Wellesley or at a Medfield School gym. Grades 4-8 will now have one to two practices per week.
- Players are required to also participate in the in-town program in grades 4 through 7. An exception is made for the player that plays on their school team in these grades, i.e. those that attend private school and play for their team.
- The fee for the 2017-2018 is $225 per player. There is an additional cost for any tournament's the teams may enter.
- All travel players need to purchase uniforms from TriValley Sports in Medway. Travel coaches will provide timeline and details shortly after tryouts are complete. Only valid basketball numbers (ending in 0-5) can be used in the MetroWest travel league. Optional apparel will be made available for purchase through our online spirit store. Details on store availability will also be provided by coaches.
- Please note that we are in the process of changing our uniform color to Columbia / Carolina Blue to be more consistent with the high school colors and other youth sports in town. For the 2019-2020 season, we will introduce the new color for the 4th grade players. For the 2020-2021 season, we will move all other grades to the new color, so you may want consider this in your decision to purchase a new uniform this year if you are considering a bigger size, etc.
The tryout schedule is posted on the web site under Travel Basketball.